How Do You Look Unto Jesus ?
Friday, 9th of February 2024
186 145 1119
Categories : Word of God
Looking unto Jesus is a foundational principle in the Christian faith, inviting us to focus our gaze, our thoughts, and our hearts on the Lord and His Word. Understanding how to do this effectively can transform our spiritual journey, guiding us towards living a life that truly reflects our belief in Him.
What Does it Mean to Look to Jesus?
Looking to Jesus means aligning our vision with the Word of God, which is a reflection of who He is. John 1:1 tells us, "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God." This scripture underscores the unity between Lord Jesus and God's Word. Just as a mirror shows us our external appearance, God's Word reveals the state of our inner being (James 1:23-24). When we delve into scripture, we are not just reading text; we are engaging with Jesus Himself, seeing our reflections through His eyes.
Reflecting on the Word of God
James 1:25 provides us with a three-step guide to effectively engage with the Word:
1. Read it To "look intently into the perfect law" means to study the Bible with focused attention, seeking to understand its depth and richness. This isn't about a cursory glance but about deeply examining what scripture says and how it applies to our lives.
2. Review it Continual engagement with the Word—"and continues to do this"—emphasizes the importance of not just a one-time reading but a repeated, ongoing interaction with the Scriptures. This repetition helps embed God's truths in our hearts and minds.
3. Remember it "Not forgetting what they have heard" highlights the value of memorizing scripture. Even if it seems like we forget these verses over time, they remain within us, ready to surface through the Holy Spirit's prompting when we need guidance or encouragement.
Applying the Word
The key to looking unto Jesus is not just in reading, reviewing, and remembering the Word, but in expecting it to actively work in our lives. We are encouraged in 1 Corinthians 9:24, "Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize." This passage urges us to live our faith with intention and determination, striving for excellence in our spiritual walk.
Some Practical Steps to Look Unto Jesus
1.Engage with Scripture Daily: Make it a habit to read the Bible every day. Start with passages that speak to your current life situation or read through a book of the Bible chapter by chapter.
2.Reflect and Meditate: After reading, take time to meditate on what you've read. Ask yourself what God is saying through this passage and how it applies to your life.
3.Memorize Scripture: Choose a verse each week to memorize. Write it down, keep it on your phone, or post it somewhere you'll see it daily to help it sink in.
4.Apply What You Learn: As you read, review, and remember God's Word, look for opportunities to apply it in your everyday life. Whether it's showing kindness, offering forgiveness, or standing firm in faith during trials, let scripture guide your actions.
5.Share the Word: As you grow in your understanding, share what you're learning with others. This could be through friendly conversations or social media.
Remember, looking unto Jesus through His Word is a journey that transforms us from the inside out. It shapes our thoughts, actions, and attitudes, aligning them with God's will. As Hebrews 12:2 says, "Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of faith." By focusing on Him, we find the strength, guidance, and encouragement we need to run our race well and ultimately win the prize of eternal life with Him.
1. Father, direct my heart into the love of Jesus and follow His perseverance.
2. Father, help me fight the good fight, finish the race and keep the faith in Jesus' name, I pray. Amen
Most Read● The Power of Blessing
● 21 Days Fast: Day #5
● Little Compromises
● God Will Provide
● Day 06: 21 Days Fasting & Prayer
● Who is Your Mentor - II
● Can I Desire All the Gifts of the Holy Spirit?